Thursday, March 10, 2022

Rock Creek (Heisson)




BETA
1 mile // 200 fpm 



Stream: The Rock Creek that flows into the East Fork Lewis has a guidebook write-up for the last few miles.  I had paddled that before, and had seen on maps that there was a marked waterfall higher up, and a section even further up that was bridge to bridge and 200 fpm.  


I didn't have high hopes, but wanted to see what was in there anyway.  The Friday before Creeking Comp in 2018 I got off work a little early and we took an alternate route up past Hagen Creek and Silver Star mountain (this route is not always open to the public).  I had Priscilla drop me off at a bridge on Rock Creek, and she would pick me up a mile downstream and 200 feet lower in elevation.
  



I was using an IK, as they can be easier for hopping in and out quickly.  Immediately upon getting in the first time I snapped one of the foot pegs off, and was unable to reattach it.  So I stuck it in my PFD pocket and shoved off.

The run was continuous class III, with plenty of wood hazards.  Because I was in an IK, and because the logs weren't usually too hazardous, it was often in my best interest just to hop onto the logs as I came across them rather than portage from higher upstream, saving me effort and time.  There were no significant or notable rapids, and the main obstacle was wood.  I often say for every 3 exploratory trips I do, that approximately 1 is worth repeating, 1 was worth it for the experience, and 1 is a bummer that only serves to curb my curiosity.  

This one curbed my curiosity.



For the one that was worth repeating, and the one that was worth it for the experience that I group with this trip, check out the NFNF Trask and WFNF Wilson.


Flows:  I paddled the run April 13, 2018 and thought flows were at a good first time level.





Access:  

Put In:  45.73889629049382, -122.29184981081812

Take Out:  45.753764493850845, -122.31216470869818


                                 The section I ran is shown in blue in the following graphic.


No comments: