Monday, April 10, 2017

Euchre Creek




Ben Mckenzie, Emile Elliott and I ran Euchre Creek January 23, 2017 with the Siletz gauge just under 4,000 cfs and dropping slowly.



The put in was roadside and there was a short warm up before a steep and bouldery three part rapid that we portage, though it had a line.


 Putting back in there was a fun ramp along the left wall, before entering a bouldery rapid leading up to an island that looked like it was worth a scout.

The island had a tricky, but doable line on the left, or a sneak channel on the right with pin potential.  This island rapid reminded me of the rapid called Island on the Little White Salmon River.

Below this island we were able to boat scout about a mile of class IV rapids, mostly bouldery but a couple ledges too, down to Euchre Falls (which is easily scouted on the shuttle, just upstream of the take out).  This 10 foot tall ramp could be run just about anywhere, we chose center-right.



The take out bridge was a couple hundred yards below Euchre Falls.



click photo to enlarge

                                                                   click photo to enlarge

After the first class V rapid, the rest of the run is IV-IV+.  I wish I would have run this creek when I first heard about it from Rick Cooley back in college.  I would have certainly run it a number of times on days when I only had a couple of classes.  The run is short (1.5 miles) and shuttle is easy. I jogged it when our scooter malfunctioned (again).

No comments: