Thursday, December 29, 2011

Little North Fork Wilson

Pete brought Andrew and I along on an adventurous trip into the Wilson river drainage Thanksgiving weekend.  It turned out better than we expected, and I'd go back if using a lower put in.  Here is Pete's account of the trip.

BETA

Stream: The Little NF Wilson enters the main stem about 1 mile before the Wilson enters the Tillamook Valley.  The upper reaches are steep and extremely wood ridden.  Lower down, near the confluence with Shadow Creek the stream matures and starts to become worth paddling.  The best of the rapids are class IV, and there is a healthy dose of these class IV's.  The access situation isn't ideal, but the solitude is part of the charm.
  
Flows:  I don't remember what we had for flows.  It's about the same size as Jordan Creek, so I'd think you would look for similar flows on the Wilson nr Tillamook as you would Jordan.  Which as I understand is 6'-8' for medium flows.

Access:  Take out at the Mills Bridge Drift Boat Launch along Hwy 6, at the confluence of the LNF and mainstem Wilson Rivers.  

We drove 12 miles up Hwy 6 and crossed the Wilson on Cedar Butte Rd, which we followed for 2.2 miles, then veered left.  1/4 mile later we turned right, and followed this road to a bridge over the stream.  It was tiny up here, and the first few miles were only enjoyable in the sense of adventure.  There was the occasional enjoyable rapid amongst numerous portages.  


If I were to do the run again, I'd drive 6 miles upstream from the take out and turn left on Coast Range Rd.  I'd take that 4.7 miles and use the old spur to walk down as close as I could get to the creek, then schwack the rest of the way.

I recommend anyone doing this run take a look at a map and find the way that looks best to them.



No comments: