Thursday, September 30, 2010

Oswego Creek


all photos: Matt King


About 5 years ago I was attending an event with my family in Portland. I was still an Ik'er but the bridge we drove over was intriguing even then. I guess it was a precursor of things to come, but I just HAD to find out what was in that creek. I didn't have the map skills at the time to figure out what creek it was, so I just took a mental image and stayed up that night imagining what was flowing along under that bridge.
Then earlier this summer I am driving through Portland and drive over and recognized that bridge.  I pulled over in a no parking zone and hopped out to take a look.  My hopes were low, but it looked like there was some bedrock down there, not what I was expecting.  Anyway, I drove around some more and saw some wood, but the first drop looked worth the effort to me, so I did some research and found out my mystery creek was Oswego creek. I tried to find when they did releases, but this project fell on the wayside as more promising creeks emerged.

This last weekend, driving back from Bend I returned to the Willamette Valley with a message from Matt King.  He was standing next to a creek flowing through downtown Portland and it was running, he said it had a 20' tall, 30' long slide and said we should run it!

I called back and he informed me he came across the creek after riding his bike to pick up a ladder, how some things happen.
The drive home from Bend was brutal and I almost fell asleep a few times, I even think I had a dream or two.   However, the thought of getting to finally run this creek kept me going and motivated to make it to Portland that night where Nate, Matt and I awaited the mornings events. I was up as soon as I heard footsteps in the hall.
We skipped breakfast (saved for later I should say, thanks Caitlin!) and loaded up. We were in high spirits and showed up at the put in bridge to see... other kayakers!  Word had gotten out that Lake Oswego was being drained for maintenance to the dam.

After we were informed of the protocol for the day (don't be on river right due to landowner issues), we went to the put in and did some scouting before dropping this pretty rad slide right there in downtown Portland.

Nate and I, round two.

Matt and Nate dropped down Blue angel style, Matt's paddle got caught in some rocks and he almost went over, but kept it upright and retrieved his paddle. We then all hiked up for round two as the LOPD showed up with an unhappy landlady.


"I am, not a crook"



We saw an obnoxious argument with landowners who were uninformed about Oregon's navigability laws coming up, a possibility Matt, Nate and I had foreseen and didn't much want to be a part of.   We paddled off downstream and into the Willamette, across the river, then hiked up a road through Matt's neighborhood to his house.  The other group got to talk to the bystanders, but the police officer was informed and after discussion got to continue paddling a few more laps.




Downstream on Oswego Creek

Upon arrival Caitlin had a big breakfast made up for us, ending a unique morning in quality fashion.  Matt and Nate had more in mind so headed off for the Truss, and I drove back down to school.

Put in:  outlet for Lake Oswego    45.4101, -122.6675
Take out:  George Roger's Park.   45.4105, -122.6608
Total length:   1/2 mile.



This creek only runs once every three years when the lake is lowered for residence to fix boat docks and more rarely for the city to clean sewage pipes beneath the lake surface. 



Shit eating grins after Oswego Creek dawn patrol.

All photos: Matt King


-Jacob

1 comment:

Jackie said...

I managed to do a single run of this at the end of summer last year when someone I know tipped me off- definitely worth the novelty.